Eastern Washington Forest Stewardship Coached Planning Courses – Online Fall 2020
A forestry class for property owners
Providing you the tools to be an expert of your own forest
The “Coached” Forest Stewardship Planning Shortcourse is an educational opportunity for owners of family forests in Washington. The informational, hands-on, practical approach of this program will enable landowners to learn useful information about their natural resources. The program is open to all persons. Participants will be able to author their own Forest Stewardship Plan with guidance and “coaching” from natural resource professionals.
- Identification of management goals and steps to accomplish objectives
- How to write a Forest Management Plan
- How to map and describe your property
- How to assess risk and improve forest health
- How forests develop, change, and respond to
- How to plant and care for a young forest
- How to harvest timber sustainably
- Forestry resource inventory, tools, and
- Using and marketing special forest products
- Wildlife habitat identification and enhancement
- Native plant identification and weed control
- Forest soils and fertility
- Streams, wetlands, and water quality
- How to assess and reduce wildfire risk and
- Understanding cultural resources
- Enhancing aesthetic and recreational
- Where to go for help and additional resources
Course Outcomes – Deliver completed Forest Management Plan eligible for:
- Course participants will complete a multi-resource Forest Management Plan for their property. Plans approved by the WA Dept. of Natural (DNR) qualifies you to have your property recognized as a Washington State “Stewardship Forest,” and allows you to apply for cost-sharing assistance for plan implementation.
- Upon request, participants will get on-the-ground, personalized consultation by a DNR Stewardship Forester and/or Wildlife Biologist to discuss management plan development and implementation.
- Submit the plan to the local county assessor to be considered for reduced “current use” property tax rates.
- With your plan, become CERTIFIED by the American Tree Farm System.
When and Where?
This course is for owners of land located in Eastern Washington. The course will be offered on Tuesday evenings from 6:00 – 9:00 PM, October 13 – December 15th (No class Thanksgiving week).
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, these courses will be offered via live, interactive webinars. A high-speed internet connection is needed. Dial-up will not work. You can access the webinars with your computer or mobile device. Access instructions will be provided prior to the class.
Cost and Registration
We know this is a difficult time financially for many people. Because of this, we have pulled together some additional funding to allow us to drop the normal price per household/ownership course fee down to $60.
Space is limited and is first-come, first-served. Online classes always sell out very early. No refunds within one week of the course start date. Eventbrite processing fees are non-refundable.
If registering as a family from the same household/ownership, only do one registration for all of you–do not do separate registrations for individual family members.
The registration process is through Eventbrite and includes required short questionnaire. If you have forested property, please make sure you have your property information ready before you start the registration process, including acreage and county parcel number(s).